Sunday, July 29, 2012

Moving! (Kind of...)

I hate moving. Hate it. What other words do I have that could express to the world how I feel about moving. Loathing, despise, an abomination, filled with disgust, and if you so desire go look it up in a thesaurus and every synonym will apply. I've moved WAY too many times in our 5 years of marriage. And with each move we have more things to move.

When we first were married I moved to California, then to Washington, then to Philadelphia, then to Utah, then to Idaho and now we're moving again. Staying within Idaho, but still moving. Plus, there is the eventual move that comes in May when we are, most likely, moving to D.C. And, since I've expressed to my Chris (on multiple occasions) that I'm only committing to two years in D.C., we will have another move then. Insert the biggest sigh possible rriiiiiiiiiiiggghhhhht <here>.

And this time is annoying in a different way since I'm moving everything two weeks before I will actually be living there. Plus, this move was especially painful since Chris is, luckily, still in D.C. and didn't have to participate. Luckily, a pregnant sister-in-law is pathetic enough to incur the sympathy of her brother-in-laws and I had myself a moving crew.

So this last week, while I was (successfully) building my bookshelf, I was also rounding up all of our stuff and attempting to pack it up. Although a lot of procrastination was necessary for sanity to continue, I did manage to pack everything and disassemble several items of furniture. One of them, my bed, tried to kill me in the process but the idea that my obituary would state that I was smothered by a mattress was incentive enough to live.

Oh, let's add in the fact that I'm in the basement and discovered several dead spiders throughout the process. And while a dead spider is better than a live spider, the difference is so slight that you couldn't tell the difference through my reactions.

Well, moving day came yesterday and we got the U-haul loaded up. Luckily I pulled out the big bucks (10 dollars) and got the bigger truck because we needed it.


I also advise a better packing job at the entrance to your truck because when I opened it at the apartment things preceded to try and kill me. 

Unpacking went much quicker and I found out that we are going to have awesome neighbors. When we arrived they moved both their cars so we could back to truck up so it was directly in front of our apartment. Then they offered us several water bottles and helped move all the stuff in. By the way, when I say "we" moved everything you can subtract "me" from that equation. I realized with two weeks left til Chris gets back and three weeks until the baby is due, I better not make myself go into labor by handling heavy loads. So, I was more of a director than a participator. And honestly, I'm OOOOOOOOOOOOK with that.

After everything was unloaded we are left with the handy dandy moving crew tired and worn out.
Thank-you Meg, Greg, Jeff, Jon and Braden for being such great sports and helping out. And thank-you Sawyer for not being too difficult.

Then it was off to dinner at the Chinese restaurant around the corner. I have to admit, I was hesitant but Jon and Braden insisted it was really good. And it was.
I'm just still trying to figure out how Sawyer knew what to do with chopsticks. No one has ever used them in front of him before but he managed to pick up on the concept. Well, chopsticks plus a few fingers.



1 comment:

  1. I hate moving too. UGH. We will probably move sometime next year. Although it will be into a house, so that gives me more incentive, right!?

    Also - a note on spiders. I squeal/scream when I see them (alive or dead) and then, if they are the live kind, I scream again when I hit them with a shoe, or vacuum them up, or whatever. I hate those nasty icky bugs!!!

    ReplyDelete