Saturday, July 21, 2012

Day 1 of Pinterest Project (Well, technically day 2 since I did do some stuff yesterday but... let's not dwell on that.)

Even though I had thought I had everything I needed I found out during my prep work that, sadly, it was not the case. So, first thing I did this morning was make a stop at home depot to pick up a few things. I'm pretty sure this is the pregnancy talking but whenever somebody stopped to help me I think they had their doubts about me and my 9 page long project.

I've noticed during this pregnancy, that I tend to do things that people tell me I shouldn't or think that I can't. For example, I was walking down some steps the other day carrying the stroller (Sawyer was not in it before you even begin to imagine that the pregnancy has ruined me completely). Of course somebody stopped and offered to carry it down for me. I mean... I would do it, so why shouldn't somebody else? But... I stubbornly refused and laughed the person off. Why? If Chris had been there you can bet that I would be laying it on thick that I'm pregnant and can't do anything. So why not let somebody else do it? I'm pretty sure it has to do with pride but that sounds so negative so let's just say it was a temporary lack in judgement. But I digress...

So upon arriving home I gathered everything I needed and laid it out for you all to see.
I have to admit that the only thing I've used out of these is the sander. So, this was somewhat intimidating for me and therefore I practiced on the scrap wood quite a bit. Okay, looking at the picture I realize that I have used glue. You got me on that one. Oh, I see there's a pencil there too. I've never used one of those.

After practice and measuring, lots of measuring, I successfully completed the ends of the bookshelf.
I must admit, I am puh-rettty proud of myself for this. I mean... look at those handles! Sorry, did you look? No? Look again. And, one more time. Are they perfect? Of course not. I was not aiming for perfection (at least I'll never admit I was aiming for perfection) but I think for a first time wood cutter... I deserve a few pats on the back for those ones. Yes, they need to be sanded a bit, especially the corners, but that can wait. I have to put a bottom on this thing.

And... here's a bottom for you. A pretty amazing bottom if I do say so myself.
Woah! Do you see that square in there? How did that get there? I mean, I didn't even know what a square was until yesterday. And now, it's in my picture? I think the square wanted to show you how amazingly, almost, perfect this is. What's the broom doing there? I'm not actually sure about that one.

Up to this point Sawyer was, thankfully, asleep. I don't know if anything would've been done to any degree of success if he was awake. But at this point he woke up. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the circular saw, the jigsaw, the sander, the drill, or the screwdriver outside his window... but that may have been why he woke up.
However, as we can see, Sawyer was more than happy to be awake and helping me. And before you judge, yes I do put clothes on my son. But prior to helping he had been playing in the sprinkler and had successfully stripped to his diaper. The diaper would have come off but I distracted him with a screwdriver.

By the way, it was very hot outside. And I mean, HOT. Basically, any sane person would have to be naked to do this project outside on a day like today. I thought about it but, since there are one million and ten reasons why a 8 month pregnant woman using power tools should not be naked in a not very private backyard,  I kept them on.

Luckily, Sawyer figured out that we had an easily accessible water fountain for our use.


After a quick run through the sprinkler, a few popsicles and a lot of procrastinating I got back to work. Now in this next picture it may not look like I did a lot, or anything at all, but do you see those bars at the bottom? Well, basically, they sucked.
Looking at the picture you might say to yourself that they look easy. Well, in theory, yes, they should be easy. However, they were the wrong length. Wouldn't have been so bad if they were the wrong length by a full inch and then I could've used the jigsaw to cut them but no, they had to be off by centimeters. Therefore, as inexperienced as I am, I feared using the saw in case I cut off too much. Instead, I used the sander to shave a few millimeters at a time. It was annoying to say the least. But Sawyer seems to know that I'm building something for him and is enjoying the project.

At this point I ran out of screws. And, as much as I thought screws were an accessory, they're really a main part to this project and I can't do anything without them. 

Did I have time to go to the store? No, but I do have time to go get a snow cone which is right next to the store. Are my priorities in the right order? Let me check.... snow cone or screws? Sugar or metal? Fun or work? Colorful concoctions or wood? Cold treat or baking in the hot sun? Um, yes, I have my priorities in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment