Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Parenting at its Finest

I am not a perfect parent. Far from it in fact. I think a lot of people are afraid to admit that. Actually, I don't think people are afraid to admit they're not perfect but they are afraid to admit they do things they shouldn't. Not me, I'll lay it out for you.

On several occasions Sawyer has had a popsicle before he's eaten breakfast. Why? Because it's what he's want and I'm preoccupied with other things. Does that make it right? No, but it happens.

75% of the time I go to Walmart/Costco/Any store at all, Sawyer comes home with some type of treat or toy.

I give lollipops to my kid to shut him up keep him quiet.

Sawyer has watched several movies in a row plus a few episodes of jake and the neverland pirates. What am I doing? That's none of your business.

If we stay at home all day Sawyer is probably still in his pajamas or only in a diaper. I probably am too... not the diaper of course.

He eats in front of the TV.

I let him color with markers... *gasp!* ... and yes he has drawn on things he shouldn't.

I've let him him 5,6,7 gogurts in a row.

Bedtime is when we've decided we've had enough of him.

Now all of this is only Sawyer, we'll leave Beckham for another day.

Why the sudden desire to admit this? Well, the other day I caught myself saying to Sawyer, "You can have a banana when you finish your lollipop!" As soon as the words left my mouth I started laughing realizing that was one of the silliest things I could say to a child. But let me explain...

Sawyer doesn't like to ride in grocery carts anymore which I don't mind as long as he stays with me. Do I have to explain how hard it is for a 2 year old to stay with his mom, especially in Walmart at Christmas time where it seems like there is a toy placed every 10 feet? Well, I've found that if I offer him a lollipop, as long as he stays in the cart, he's a happy camper.

So yesterday we were finished shopping and on the way home and he still had his lollipop. I had grabbed a banana because I was hungry and he saw me and wanted one too. However, he still had the lollipop and the only place for him to put it was on the seat, on the ground or in my hand. I didn't want it to I told him he had to finish it before he got the banana. Does that make the statement seem any better? No? Well, let me ponder that while I go get my son a bowl of ice cream and sit him down to watch Jake.

No comments:

Post a Comment